Motorbike on Board
Totally driven! A BMW Enduro expands our possibilities
For the logistics on land, you could also rent a car or move your own from home?
Or find a completely different, easier solution: A motorbike!
We have now been on the road with it for a season and have gained some experience.
A BMW Enduro as a “land dinghy”
The first time we hibernated in Portimao, we took our Chrysler south, 3000 km in 32 hours. But in 2020/21 in Corona times with winter storms and lockdown we had no chance to get the van from Hamburg. Above that, we needed a light, efficient vehicle with which we could use dirt roads and ignore borders even in “emergency situations”. As old bikers, we decided on a BMW 1200 GS LC Adventure. The virtual purchase at a German dealer on the Ems, the registration in Hamburg and the delivery as freight to Portugal was a successful adventure of its own….
In the meantime, we enjoy the independent travel possibilities with the motorbike on board and have tested the previously weighed advantages and disadvantages in practice.
- Cheap and fast means of transport on land (petrol prices!)
- Exciting excursion possibility to explore unknown countries
- A new feeling of freedom for once – quite different from sailing
- Practical: transport of large purchases
- Uncomplicated pick-up of visitors
- Amazing how quickly you make new acquaintances!
- Surprising and cool look of the cockpit
- Can also be done without an onboard crane
- The ship sits 2 cm deeper in the water and becomes approx. 1-2 knots slower, this must be taken into account.
- There is less space in the cockpit – no problem with a small crew.
- The load capacity is reduced by 250 kg.
- There are no self-service cranes in the Mediterranean as there are in Northern Europe where the boats all leave the water in winter.
- Crane service has to be organised and paid for on shore (20€-100€).